- This event has passed.
Southwest Dairy Day Rescheduled
November 11 @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pmFree
The new hours for the event will be from 1-4 p.m. with tours and speakers. Booth setup will be from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. for exhibitors.
Admission is free. The dairy is located at the intersection of U.S. Highway 84 East and County Road 1673 east of Snyder.
“We are so thankful to Will and Lauren who have agreed to let us reschedule the event, and continue to tour their facilities, in spite of all the weather issues,” said Juan Piñeiro, Ph.D., AgriLife Extension dairy specialist, Amarillo. “Many people are excited to hear about their experiences with the new robotic technology.”
The Colliers are third-generation dairy producers. T&K dairy started in 1982 as a traditional dry-lot dairy with a parallel milking parlor. This past August, they expanded to start milking select cows in a new barn equipped with 18 stationary milking robots. The expansion will allow them to increase their herd size from 2,000 cows to almost 3,000 cows.
Their automatic milking systems will be the main highlight of this year’s tours, Piñeiro said, as they are the first conventional dairy operation with this technology in Texas.
Jennifer Spencer, Ph.D., AgriLife Extension dairy specialist, Stephenville, said, “We still want dairy producers to come see the latest technologies they can adopt and use on their farms, and we invite the local community to come learn more about dairy farming.”
The new event schedule is as follows:
1-2:45 p.m. – General Tours, two dairy outreach program area, or DOPA, continuing education credits available for taking the tour.
– Automatic Milking Systems and RFID Identification tags, Tami Tollenaar, Lely regional sales specialist.
– Rumination collars, robotic feed pushers and water beds, Barbara Jones, Ph.D., director of the Southwest Regional Dairy Center, Tarleton State University, Stephenville.
– Irrigating with lagoon effluents, Dana Porter, Ph.D., AgriLife Extension agricultural engineer – water management, Lubbock.
1:30-2 p.m. – Dairy Producer Tour, nutrient management, Will Collier, dairy owner/operator.
3-4 p.m. – Presentations inside the tent.
– Opening Remarks/T&K Farm Overview, Will and Lauren Collier Family.
– Use of Beef Semen on Dairy Cows, Jason Smith, Ph.D., AgriLife Extension beef specialist, Amarillo.
– Manure Management, Zong Liu, Ph.D., AgriLife Extension Specialist, Texas A&M Biological and Agricultural Engineering, College Station.